The purpose of the Level 2 Award in Leading Physical Activity for Adolescents is to provide learners the knowledge and skills needed to programme safe and effective physical activities for adolescents, whilst taking into account the physiological changes associated with their development, and an understanding of the psychological and social issues faced by adolescents.
Learners will cover:
- The specific anatomy, physiology and nutritional needs of adolescents and how they relate to physical activities, exercise and fitness.
- How to adapt physical activities and exercises for adolescents.
- How to plan, deliver and supervise safe and effective physical activity sessions to adolescents.
- The legal and professional requirements for working with adolescents.
Learners must hold a level 2 in one of the following:
- Certificate in Fitness Instructing.
- Active IQ Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing.
- Active IQ Level 2 Certificate in Group Training.
- Certificate in Leading Health Related Activity Sessions.
Learners will only be able to deliver session within their area of expertise.
It must be remembered that the Level 2 Award in Leading Physical Activity for Adolescents is part of the specialist populations suite of qualifications and cannot be completed without learners having successfully completed one of the entry requirements.
When completed the learner will only be able to deliver activities to adolescents within their area of expertise for example gym-based exercise (gym instructors or personal trainers), group training (group trainers or exercise to music instructors), coaching of a specific sport (sport specific coach), multisports or physical activity (physical activity leader or multisports coach).
Learners must complete the two mandatory units.
- Coursework / Project.
- Portfolio of Evidence.
This qualification provides progression onto:
- Active IQ Level 2 Award in Mental Health Awareness.
- Active IQ Level 2 Award in Safeguarding and Protecting Children and Vulnerable Adults.